From: Michael Redmond (redmond_at_engr.wisc.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 24 2003 - 09:29:55 CST

We have been running VMD with Quadro cards (550XGL and 900XGL) under
Windows 2000. We use quad-buffered OpenGL stereo support of the Detonator
drivers with shutter glasses (all kinds) or in Clone mode (with a Geowall
stereo projection system). It basically works, but we have a performance
problem when we start up VMD in default, mono mode. Image manipulation is
horrendously slow! However, as soon as we switch to Crystaleyes stereo,
performance is great (maybe 30X speedup). Other applications have similar
problems in both Windows and Linux.

I have been working with PNY and NVidia folks to address this and other
Quadro issues. I got a note back with the following query:

---
The performance problem I would guarantee is because they are using a
stereo pixel format in mono-mode (i.e. selecting a stereo pixel format
and then setting the buffer to back/front not back_left, back_right,
front_left, front_right). This will cause the driver to drop to a
software path.
This may in turn be causing the issues with the switching etc.
Do they have control over the application source code?
Could they confirm if they are using mono-mode or not?
___
At this point, I haven't looked at the source. I am hoping I can get a
quick answer here without having to try deciphering source.
If this is the problem, is there a way to address it in future versions of VMD?
Thanks
Mike Redmond
Associate Director, eMedia Center
UW-Madison