From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 22 2007 - 22:55:06 CDT

Mario,
  The "wobbling" is an effect of the way current generation shading
languages perform interpolation of parameters to fragment shaders,
and is nothing to do with the video driver. This will go away when
they enable a non-perspective-corrected interpolation mode in GLSL,
which should be available soon if I recall correctly. The programs
that don't do perspective projected spheres won't exhibit this
effect. Most of the other programs are using "billboard" spheres
rather than proxy geometry like VMD uses, so there's a totally
different rendering approach in each case.

Cheers,