From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 03 2002 - 14:47:59 CDT

Dear VMD-L,
  Those of you that have been trying out the new native MacOS X
version may be interested to try a preliminary "bundle"-based
version which doesn't require any of the normal VMD installation
process, nor the additional resource fork attachment tricks.
The bundle version comes packaged as a compressed "disk image",
which contains a VMD "application bundle" that appears as a single
icon named "VMD" when manipulated within the MacOS X finder.
This bundled version can be run from wherever you drop it by
clicking on the unpacked application bundle. We're still improving
the bundled version and we expect to release a new alpha version of
VMD that has a number of performance improvements for the MacOS
version, but I thought it would be useful for interested parties
to go ahead and try out this initial bundle and provide us with
feedback so that the next one will be even better.

The bundle version of VMD 1.8 alpha 16 can be downloaded from:
  ftp://ftp.ks.uiuc.edu/pub/mdscope/vmd/alpha/VMD-1.8a16.dmg.gz

Let us know if you have any difficulty using the bundle version, or
if you have any suggestions.

Thanks,