From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 19 2002 - 18:15:06 CST

Dear VMD-L,
  Quite a few of you (about 57!!) have been using CVS checkouts
to build your own locally customized versions of VMD.
Starting with the current VMD 1.8 development tree, we have
changed the organization of VMD significantly.

The new plugin system currently used for file I/O, structure building,
etc, is now an integral part of the VMD compilation process.
Those of you with CVS trees of the main VMD source will need to
checkout a copy of the "plugins" directory now as well.
I have just added the "plugins" and "vmdbench" directories to the
nightly cvs2html web development logs.

You can view them here:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/development.html

We'll continue to update these pages with new instructions for
people building their own custom versions of VMD as we continue to
modify the build process to work more smoothly with the new
plugin system.

If you need help building the current sources from CVS,
please send us emails and we'll try to help you get it going
during this transitional period.

Thanks,