From: Dr Nicolas Le Novere (nl223_at_cus.cam.ac.uk)
Date: Mon May 29 2000 - 08:04:29 CDT

On Fri, 26 May 2000, Keith Refson wrote:

> This might be a likely place to ask this. Is there such a thing as a
> valid PDB file containing 100000 atoms or more? According to the
> format docs the atom serial number field is only 5 digits. Any
> suggestions about the best way to handle this are welcome.

You can just artificially split your molecule into different chains of less
than 100000 atoms. I made a macromolecular complex of about 300000 atoms by
fusing smaller chains (in MOLMOL) and I used the resulting PDB without problems
into VMD. Just put a TER at regular intervals in your PDB.

--
Dr Nicolas Le Novère
Dpt of Zoology, University of Cambridge, Downing street, Cambridge CB2 3EJ, UK