From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun Dec 05 2004 - 22:44:56 CST

Hi,
  Those of you interested in testing VMD 1.8.3 and providing
feedback can download VMD 1.8.3 beta 1 from the VMD web site.
I've built test binaries for 32-bit and 64-bit Linux, 32/64-bit Solaris,
32-bit MacOS X, and 32-bit Windows, all available here:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/alpha/

There are various minor things I'm still finishing up before release,
but this build should be very representative of the final version.

The main things still in flux at this point are Python-related
updates and changes, a few last bits pertaining to OpenGL programmable
shading, and two or three very small feature requests I may still
have an opportunity to implement prior to release assuming new bugs
don't crop up with further testing.

I'm particularly interested in getting feedback on the stability
of the new version on video boards that support OpenGL programmable
shading (see the new Display->Rendermode->GLSL option in the GUI),
and how well the AMD64 build works for those of you with Opteron,
Athlon64, or recent Intel chips running 64-bit Linux.

I'm going to be out of town at a meeting for the next week, so I won't
have much opportunity to respond to email, but if you have an opportunity
to test the new version, I would very much appreciate any commentary, as
this will help me decide how to spend my efforts preparing VMD 1.8.3 for
final release.

Thanks,