From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 20 2020 - 14:19:24 CST

Lothar,

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 02:52:23PM -0500, Lothar Esser wrote:
> Hi, John,
> Â thanks for your super fast reply. A few days ago, I had a sent a very
> detailed account of the problem to [1]vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu but never heard a
> thing.

I've been totally snowed under by almost a thousand emails in the last
four days or so. I'll find it eventually...

> In the meantime I did make some progress. It seems you are saying
> tachyon should render colored surfaces and only in my unusual case(s) it
> seems to fail. The example that I provided back then is simply crambin (I
> have a much more complicated molecule but here crambin 1crn.pdb failed
> already).

It shouldn't even matter what particular molecule is being used.
I'll just have to look carefully at your saved state and see what
might be happening.

> BTW I think you are probably right: The new APBS required a version of gcc
> that I did not have and had to compile. One library ended up in
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

That is the most likely cause of the behavior you describe that I could
come up with. I'm not aware of any other reason why it wouldn't work.

> Okay, I am attaching one example. The my_vmdscene.tga is what Tachyon
> produces for me.

Thanks I'll get back to you after I have a look.

Best,
  John