From: Dallas Warren (dallas.warren_at_monash.edu)
Date: Tue May 19 2020 - 18:30:17 CDT

John,

Thank you for the suggestion. I am aware of ways that can tweak
representations to alter the number of faces, resolution etc. And that
definitely works for a given system.

However, that isn't going to help us here because we are looking for a more
generalised solution. You may recall we have VMD wrapped inside other
software (in-house) and the number of particles and representation for
things displayed within the VMD window will be highly variable. This error
has been freezing the software and we're looking for a way to handle that.
First option was to see if we can resolve the issue. I take it this is a
hard ceiling on the memory usage with 32 bit Windows? If that is the case,
then we will move to the second option, which is an error capture so that
when this is thrown up it doesn't freeze things (because it constantly
outputs the error, over and over and over, rather than just a single
write). And we will couple that with optimising representations so that it
is harder to reach the limit as well.

Can you also tell us what compiler you use with the Windows versions?

Catch ya,

Dr. Dallas Warren
Drug Delivery, Disposition and Dynamics
Monash Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Monash University
381 Royal Parade, Parkville VIC 3052
dallas.warren_at_monash.edu
When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a
nail.