From: Benjamin Kaduk (kaduk_at_mit.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 06 2012 - 13:48:37 CST

On Thu, 6 Dec 2012, Doran Bennett wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I am working on coloring an assembly of ~300 molecules that are split into
> 59 groups. I would like to generate a single image with each group of
> molecules given a unique color.
>
> I have seen previous postings that noted a ColorID can't bet set above 36,
> and I am wondering if there is a work around? Each molecule has its own
> representation within my VMD script, so I would like to find a solution
> that would let me either a) define colors using something like the ColorID
> method as I go or b) assign the color of each molecule to a value along the
> color scale.

Hi Doran,

I think you're stuck with the color scale.

Unfortunately, I last looked at this in 2006 or so and I was drawing
surfaces, not molecules. Going back and looking at the generated tcl in
my script, I guess I was using 'draw tricolor' in the color scale from 17
to 1040, so that's not very useful for molecules directly.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/current/ug/node202.html has an example
for customizing the color scale, but I think I'll rely on the list for how
to use the color scale to apply to a molecule within your script. Could
you post an example of a script you use somewhere?

-Ben