From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 27 2011 - 20:09:15 CST

Hi,
  Most likely the VRML2 parser in VTK contains some flaws
if it segfaults while reading, I've had no trouble loading
VRML2 exports generated by VMD into other programs.

If you aren't able to load the VRML2 files into VTK, then
I'd suggest trying one of the latest test versions of VMD
with the Wavefront .OBJ format. There should be a VTK importer
for OBJ files, and they are much more compact (and simpler in general)
than VRML2 files, so I would expect it would have a higher probability
of success. You can get the test versions of VMD by following
instructions here:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/alpha/

The latest test version includes a much more sophisticated
Wavefront .OBJ export feature than the older versions did
(prior versions didn't output color/material data, but the
 latest test revs of VMD include all of that and more).

Cheers,