From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 28 2010 - 10:45:08 CDT

Hi,
  Based on what I've read and heard from others, I would expect the
NVIDIA ion chipsets to do better than the integrated Intel graphics
that are often found on low-cost laptops these days. If you're running
Windows, the performance difference may only be a factor of 2x or so.
Under Linux, there are frequently serious problems with the drivers for
the Intel chipsets, so the performance difference approaches infinity. :)
The low-power AMD laptop chips are likely similar in performance to the
NVIDIA ion, but again, their Linux drivers aren't quite as smooth
the NVIDIA drivers, though far better than Intel's last I've heard.

I've been tempted to get one of the ion based netbooks as well, as I'd
heard good things from a graphics developer that uses one of the
HP mini 311 netbooks. I've been trying to eek along a bit longer with
my archaic IBM thinkpad before spending any money however. I've also
been hearing that there are various 3-D capable laptops coming out soon
(larger form factor, and 2x the price) so I may wait and see what happens
there.

Cheers,