From: Tim Travers (tstravers_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue May 25 2010 - 17:29:09 CDT

Good afternoon,

Sorry for posting twice, just in case the previous one with attached
screenshots
is too large to be posted.

I've been having problems with color rendering when using VMD on a laptop
with an Intel graphics card. This only occurs when used with linux (I've
tested
Fedora 11, Fedora 12, and Ubuntu 10.04), but not when using Windows Vista
on the same laptop. The main problem is that the color rendering for the
licorice
and CPK drawing methods don't work right.

I can send screenshots if needed. Strangely, for the licorice drawing, just
changing
the sphere resolution can also cause differences in the color
rendering with, for instance,
some bonds changing color from blue to red.

When using CPK drawing, some C-C bonds are shown in red, some in dark blue,
and
others in the normal cyan for name coloring.

I've googled this for some time now, and couldn't find any resolution. Just
to note,
I also have this problem with PyMOL's stick rendering (its version of
licorice). Again,
both work fine on Windows but not on the linux distros I've tested so far.
I'm not sure
if this'll be helpful, but here's the output of glxinfo | grep -i opengl:

OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 965GM GEM 20091221 2009Q4
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.7.1
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20

Also, I've tried the three different rendermodes in VMD, to no avail. Is
there some
X setting that needs to be maybe tweaked for Intel graphics cards?

Thanks for any help on this problem.

Thanks again,
Timothy