From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 30 2002 - 10:48:47 CST

Brian,
  There's no built-in way of doing this, but you could probably
patch the code in the DrawMolItem::draw_structure() method in DrawMolItem.C
to do this. Since I'm currently working on new ribbons and tube
representations for VMD I've been making a lot of changes to various
things recently, and once the new ribbons/tube code is done, the "Cartoon"
representation is an obvious target for significant revamping.
I don't know how far I'll be able to go with this for the release of
VMD 1.8, but its possible that if I get all of the ribbons/tube code
finished soon enough that I might have time to take a stab at updating
the "Cartoon" rep to use the new ribbons/tube code, and at the time I'd
do this, I could potentially add in new options to allow you to customize
the behavior of the "Cartoon" rep to do things like replacing helices
tubes/ribbons instead of cylinders, etc. I'll have to see how it goes.

Thanks,