From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2000 - 12:50:58 CDT

Hi,
  I had read that NVidia (at some point) was considering releasing
a version of the GeForce that used a PCI interface, to serve the
same market as the PCI based Voodoo3's that are out there. I don't
know if this was just a marketing gimmick or if they really did release
a board with a PCI interface, but I had heard something about this
anyway. Worst case, if there are no PCI GeForce boards (or none for
an unnacceptable period of time for you to wait) then I would go for
one of the recent Voodoo boards. I have heard people mention the
Matrox boards a lot on other discussions with XFree 4.0, but I have
no personal experience with those, so I don't know how they compare.
You could also go with one of the higher end Linux solutions involving
a commercial X-server. I think Evans & Sutherland's boards have some
OpenGL support for Linux now, and they are known to be pretty speedy,
although I can't say whether they are PCI or just AGP-only.

--
Theoretical Biophysics Group   Email: johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu
Beckman Institute              http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/~johns/