Re: NAMD can not run 5.6 million system with amber prmtop

From: Eduardo R Cruz-Chu (cruzchu_at_uwm.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 04 2022 - 14:12:44 CDT

Hi Chunli;

I used namd for about 6 million atoms about a decade ago. As I recall, the key problem was that the standard PDB/PSF formats were not designed to store so much data, and run out of digits. The solution was to use the JS format. More info in :

https://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/namd/wiki/index.cgi?NamdMemoryReduction

As the PDB format has a fixed number of digits to store positions, avoid that and better use COOR files (bincoor).

Also, for genereting your structures, stick with PSFGEN. If there were an error in PSFGEN, then fix it at that step; otherwise that error will pop up again during visualization/simulation.

Regards;

Eduardo